Saturday, December 1, 2012

Rivera Signs One-Year Deal with Yankees

nypost.com

The Yankees were able to resign the best closer of all-time, and a iconic figure in the history of their team in Mariano Rivera for one more season. The deal between the Yankees and Rivera is a one year 10 million dollar contract with incentives that could bring the total salary up to 15 million.

The 2012 season was not the way that the future hall of famer Rivera wanted to end his career, as he only made nine appearances before he tore his ACL on the warning track in Kansas City catching fly balls.

"Like I've been saying, I didn't want to go out like that," Rivera said in a statement released by the team. "I didn't want that to be the last image."

"But it wasn't an easy decision because there's more than just baseball with me," Rivera said. "I have to consider my family and the church, too. But I feel like we have a great group of guys and a team that can compete for a championship. I'm not just coming back to play. I'm coming back to win."

Rafael Soriano did a great job filling in for Rivera saving 42 of his 46 save oppurtuinties, but with the great season from Soriano he opted out of the final year in his deal to pursue another nice contract.

The Yankees will hope that Rivera can stay healthy, and be the anchor in the bullpen like he has been for so long to hopefully lead the Yankees to another World Series run in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment